Chief Yesufu with 2 of his sons


Prince Taiwo Abila OniruChief Ogunlana Obanikoro and Mrs Brodie Mends with Baba

You are here: HomeHistoryChief Yesufu Abiodun Oniru



The land originally owned by the Oniru Family was well over 6,000 hectares but unfortunately the bulk of the land was acquired at various times by successive governments since 1890. By all standards, all these amounted to substantial loss to the Oniru Family.

Undaunted, the family decided to make the best use of what remains, which is just 12% of the original holdings.

The first stage of the development was the sand filling of the water locked land, which is close to the sea. The second stage was the surveying while the third stage was the construction of infrastructure roads drainage, water pipelines, electricity and telephone.

The first stage started in March 1993 when Westminster Dredging Nigeria Limited mobilized on site and began actual sand pumping in May 1993. The total volume of sand required to fill the entire area was 4.58 million metric cubic. Sand was dredged from the lagoon adjacent to Banana Island and from there; pipe was laid across the Lekki Highway to the site.